Monday 26 November 2012

Il Postino by Laura


I did notreally know what to expect from this film. I wasn’t sure if I was going toenjoy it or not, I do not usually go for dated films but everyone I had spokento about it had only good things to say. It is one of my Mum’s favourite filmsof all time, and after watching it I can definitely see why. Not only was itfull of tantalisingly delightful imagery and sound, it was also full of deepemotion that all viewers could connect with. It was a story that truly moved meand was a complete joy to watch.
  I think that there were many layers to IlPostino; some parts made me think of all that is good in film and the world,other parts were desperately sad and some aspects were simply benignlyordinary. The basic idea of the film is simple: a poor, plain Mediterraneanfisherman’s son called Mario, (played by Massimo Troisi,) wants a more adventurousand rewarding life. He finds solace in the postcards he receives from friendstravelling to begin with, and eventually falls for the magic of poetry thanksto the communist poet Pablo Neruda, who was exiled from Chile due to hisoutspoken beliefs. Pablo Neruda was a real Chillan activist and poet, and soamidst the engaging and visionary film, Neruda’s poems are dotted about,sometimes with amusing consequences.
   Not only is this story about a man wantingto better his life, it is also a love story. Beatrice, the barmaid he instantlyfalls for, is broody and beautiful. The scene showing the lowly postman and thefeisty barmaid’s first encounter is heart warming and funny, although somewhatimprobable.  But that is one thing thatthis film manages to achieve so well; making the improbable seem easilyachievable. I love that Mario managed to win Beatrice’s heart with themetaphors Pablo taught him, and that the unlikely friendship between a humblepostman and a passionate communist poet became so strong, leading to Mariosuddenly seeing the beauty of his surrounding and also the beauty of words, andto Pablo becoming kinder and letting the situation he was put in instead ofhindering him, making him stronger and more loving.
    Of course the film isn’t all smiles andhappy endings, as although the setting and story is not one that many can fullyrelate to, it is still true to the pattern of real life, and I found myselfreally connecting with the characters, which shows it wasn’t totallyunrealistic. I have to admit that at the final scenes of the film I did shed afew tears, and felt like I’d been on a complete journey. Perhaps there wereweak points to this film but I definitely don’t want to be critical of IlPostino just yet. I will definitely be watching this magnificent film again.

No comments:

Post a Comment