Tuesday 27 November 2012

The Machinist


A quirky horror/psychological thriller, was my first thought of this film from my glance at the front cover of the box.  I may have been slightly right in my prediction but still very wrong. I wouldn’t really classify this film to any sort of hybrid genre but it is definitely psychological, whether its horror or thriller depends on the viewer. Although there are scenes of gore and slight jump scares the feel of the film has a more unknown genre basis, one which I myself am still unsure about.

Christen Bales body if anything the biggest indicator that it might be more of a horror film, no CGI just a very disturbingly grotesque skeletal form which at any topless scene will make you feel very unsettled and slightly sick. For this film Christen actually lost more than 60 pounds (27kg), and it really does show.

The narrative bases on a man called Trevor Reznik who suffers from insomnia, the slightly unrealistic idea is that he hasn’t slept in a year and is still able to work, talk and have a lot sex with a prostitute. And even though most of the other characters in the film think he’s on drugs, no one seems to think to call a Doctor. Although this film does have a massive plot whole in the basis of its storyline, you have to ignore it because as the film goes on the narrative starts to patch it up (slightly). As it gives the reason for why he can’t sleep.

The further the film goes on the more paranoid and deluded Reznik becomes, this changes the mood of the film dramatically.

Unlike other films which have a dream prospect to them; this film actually does it surprisingly well as you aren’t really ever sure of if Trevor is dreaming or not. Although it is slightly daunting as you worry about the whole film being one big disappointing dream/nightmare, ruining so many other good films and programmes previously. Spoiler alert; it isn’t. And the ending for me was really good ; it gave reason to most of the plot wholes, answered questions that had confused me but mostly the ending unusually surprised me and after watching will probably surprise you too.

I would say this film is suspense driven, depressingly horrific and conclusively magnificent. Although I wasn’t too sure about the director choice over the camera sometimes and Christine Bales acting was not quite up to scratch in my opinion; it is still a very good watch (but do expect some gore as well as spinal chords and rib cages becoming pressed out against pale skin).

No comments:

Post a Comment