Saturday 24 November 2012

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2



In the days leading up to the day I went to see breaking dawn part 2 I found myself increasingly excited in anticipation of the conclusion of one of my favourite franchises , and then within 30 minutes of entering the cinema increasing perplexed at what the 13 year old version of myself had found so enthralling about this saga. I had considered the films a cinematic masterpiece. At the same time it was still enjoyable and worth my £3.75(orange Wednesdays). I wouldn’t say it was a letdown; just a realisation that Twilight isn’t actually literary gold-it spawned 50 shades of grey for god’s sake!

Despite this, it was actually rather amusing. My personal highlight was the ridiculously unconvincing, and downright creepy, CGI baby. Apart from Kirsten Steward’s still moody teenager like acting some of the acting was actually quite decent, well maybe for the wrong reasons. Michael Sheen, who I still can’t stop thinking of as the Leeds United manger in ‘The damned United’, portrayed the head Volturi in a hilariously camp fashion, which quite undermined the serious mood of the film. The multicultural vampire gathering was also quite spectacular; some sort of most stereotypical accents in one film record must have been broken. The lets rip everyone’s heads off seen was also great, although as usual Bella did next to nothing but stand there looking distressed.

All in all, it was alright. What I still find so alluring about twilight, even with its seriousness undermined, is that it’s never dull. Over the top, but never dull.   

Eva.

No comments:

Post a Comment